Complaints Procedure

Making your experience count

The doctors and staff at this Practice are committed to providing high quality health care and services to patients.  This patient information sheet explains how you can comment, compliment or complain about the service you have received.

If you wish to comment or compliment about our services please write to Dawn Brewer, Practice Manager.

We operate a Practice complaints procedure as part of the NHS system for dealing with complaints. Our system meets the national criteria.

How to complain

It is best to tell a member of staff about any concerns or problems as soon as they arise and they will try to sort them out. If your problem cannot be sorted out in this way, and you wish to make a complaint, please let us have the details. The sooner we look into the matter the easier it will be to establish what happened. Complaints should be made in writing so, if you make a complaint verbally, we will write to you summarising your complaint to ensure we have understood it.

There is a limit of a maximum of 12 months for making a complaint however, in exceptional circumstances, it may be possible to investigate the issue outside this time if there are good reasons why the matter could not be raised earlier and it is still possible to investigate it.

Complaints should be made in writing and addressed to Dawn Brewer, Practice Manager, who is responsible for handling complaints. Alternatively, you can write to Dr Jonathan Barnardo, our lead doctor for this area.  We will acknowledge your complaint within three working days of receipt and invite you to discuss the manner in which your complaint will be dealt with, including the timescale.

Please tell us how you would like your complaint to be resolved, e.g>

  • Over the phone
  • At a meeting
  • With a written response; and the outcome you hope for

It helps us if you can give us as full details as possible about your complaint.

We will look into your complaint to:

  • Find out what happened and whether something went wrong
  • Invite you to discuss the problem with those involved, if you would like this
  • Apologise where this is appropriate
  • Identify what we can do to make sure the problem does not happen again

Where you can get assistance

If you need independent advice or support about your complaint, the following organisations may be able to help:-

NHS Frimley ICB

Telephone: 0300 561 0290


Post: South East Complaints Hub, NHS Frimley ICB, Aldershot Centre for Health, Hospital Hill, Aldershot, Hampshire, GU11 1AY

Healthwatch Surrey in partnership with Surrey Independent Living Council (SILC)


Telephone: 01483 310 500


Text: 07704 265 377

Post: Surrey Independent Living Charity, Astolat, Coniers Way, Guildford, Surrey, GU4 7HL

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)


Action against Medical Accidents (AVMA)


Telephone: 0345 123 2352

Surrey County Council for social care enquiries

Telephone: 0300 200 1005

Who can complain?

Anyone who is receiving a service, or has received a service, can complain.  You can complain for yourself or for someone else.  We may need to disclose information from the patient’s medical records.  If you complain for a friend or relative you must have their written consent to represent them unless they are incapable of providing this. If the patient has died or lacks capacity we will need proof that you are an appropriate person as determined by law.

What to do next if you are still unhappy:

If you are not satisfied with the way we have dealt with your complaint, you can make a request for an independent review by contacting the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP telephone enquiries

Telephone: 0345 015 4033

Website: or (to complain online or download a paper form)

Please remember

  • We want you to let us know if you are unhappy or have a suggestion about how we can do things better
  • All complaints are treated in the strictest confidence
  • Making a complaint will not affect your treatment or care